Rats Saw God - Rob Thomas A beautiful story about love and how messed up it can make us. Told from the perspective of Steve York, a teen going in a downwards spiral from really great to not-so-great. The beginning is fast paced and funny but somewhere during the second part it slows down a lot. The characters are original and very likeable I fell in love with Doug, Steve, and Sarah right away. Overall,this is a great read.There is only a few flaws that kept Rats Saw God from being a five-star read for me. One of those things is that it's really disorganized with the past and present stories. Instead of taking readers to the past for an explanation for something that affects Steve in the present, Rob Thomas takes readers to the past of something that doesn't have any real connection to anything in the chapter. Another reason it didn't make my favourite shelf is because during the second half, things slow down by a great deal to an almost snail-like pace which made the story seem boring even though it shouldn't have been. And even though I love Steve, he's a great character, during the second half of the story, Steve becomes this lovesick puppy that is not as funny as he was during the first half.Stories with a male protagonist, I expect there to be tons of humour and sarcastic content. I don't know why, I just do. Rats Saw God delivers and surpasses my expectations with very funny, realistic characters and a relaxed, sarcastic writing style. Steve, as a character really grows and learns a lot throughout the novel that it's hard not to feel empathetic for him. The relationship between Doug and Steve is strong too, with their love for nothing (a.k.a. Dadaism) and video games, it's a lot of fun to read about them.Rats Saw God is quite a moving novel about love, life, and growing up. I recommend this to anyone looking for a fun read with a serious undertone. And really, this novel is a story within a story, which is a bonus.