Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi seems to be a hit or miss novel for most people. And I can understand why with the overuse of similes and metaphors that makes this novel quite different from other dystopian novels (in both a good and bad way). Another thing about the novel is there's a lot of strike out text. I've never read a book with strike out text before and I think that's why I had such a hard time trying to get comfortable with it. But, during the second half of the book, the strike out text is a lot less prominent than it is in the first part which helps make the novel a lot more bearable. Although this book does have some problems (that can sometimes be overlooked) I really liked this. Tahereh Mafi took a very mainstream, very overused idea and added a very cool twist to it.The beginning is odd, there's too much use of similes and metaphors. Even simple sentences have been changed into more complex and 'poetic' sentences. It reminds me of that episode on friends where Joey finds out how to use a thesaurus. (Season ten episode five: The One Where Rachel's Sister Baby-Sits.) Because of this, the writing is really clipped and straight to the point instead of smooth and kind of casual (for the lack of a better word). I also don't like the romance much because the book focuses almost always on the romance instead of the actual plot. With all that being said, I still liked most if not all of the characters. They're all different and pretty well-developed with strong personalities especially James who is a very realistic ten-year old. I love how Juliette is explained to us, although she's had her powers for a long time now, she's still learning about them and how to control them. We're showed this with a few examples of just how killer her touch is with not only children, but against adults as well. It's pretty amazing.The idea to bring in superpowers into a dystopian series is pretty creative. It helps make the story stand out in a genre that is all the same (for the most part). Shatter Me is a thrilling read that is both intense and exciting. I recommend this to anyone who likes dystopian novels as well as people who like a lot of romance and a kick ass protagonist.