The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin Oh, the potential this book had. Stating the obvious, there is a romance in this novel. And this romance caused this novel to tumble and fall to its knees. Even with an awesome plot, it still couldn't help the book as much as I had hoped. Throughout the novel, there is close to no character building and most of the characters feel like ink on paper. A lot of creepy things happen to Mara once she moves to Miami. Things happen to the people around Mara as well. These odd happenings should have been a lot more dominant in the story but aren't because they are far and few between. Which makes them seem quite random instead of building up to something more. I wish Michelle Hodkin put more of these odd things into the book to help it be consistent. Now, onto the romance. But, don't get me wrong, I liked it, the actual romance is funny and sweet but there is just too much of it. Once these two characters are apart it seems that it is short lived because the other character pops up out of nowhere so that they can be together for another fifteen chapters. It's ridiculous and readers will get irritated and annoyed very quickly no matter how cute Noah's accent may or may not be.A big thing for me and books is the writing. I either like it or I don't and fortunately for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, I really, really, really, liked the writing. It's like butter, so rich and smooth and dreamy. Everything flowed very nicely that, this almost 500 paged book felt like a 200 or 300 paged book. I also loved the ending even with how predictable it is. It's very intense and scary, a crazy cliffhanger that forces you to need to read the second book. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is no doubt a book that many readers will love. But it's also a book that a lot of readers will dislike because of the romance. But I did enjoy this and recommend it to anyone who loves books where the romance takes over and killer cliffhangers. Fingers crossed the second book has a lot less romance in it!